We are currently witnessing an accelerated deterioration of living and working conditions as well as an increasing loss of rights and liberties. This is being achieved by using the instrument of public debt in order to deteriorate and privatize the entire public system.
The policies carried out by the governors of PSOE (Spanish Socialist Workers’ Party) and the PP (Popular Party) and their partners have led us into this social emergency. For this reason, the classist and independent unionism will not promote the underpinning of the capitalist system with patches or partial measures. On the contrary, we stand for struggle and mobilization as necessary elements of social transformation, against the impositions of the capitalist trio (International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank, and the European Commission) and the policies of the government which kneels before them, agrees to their commands, and imposes these commands upon us.
We continue to oppose union policies of social partnership (represented by the Workers’ Commissions and the General Union of Workers) that have brought such disastrous consequences for years for most people. The referendum cannot be used as a retarding element or as a bargaining chip for a future and necessary General Strike or as an instrument of demobilization, much less as a request for a nationally concentrated government. The popular will is abundantly expressed in the protests and in the streets.
We oppose the increase of the value added tax, which especially harms people whose entire income is used for basic food consumption. We denounce that the money used to rescue the financial system is made at the cost of taxpayers and is greater than the amount budgeted for public services, as agreed to by the PSOE and the PP through last year’s constitutional reform.
We are witnessing a monumental scam, which should have consequences of prosecution and imprisonment of those responsible for this situation. We demand a debt audit.
As the classist and independent unionism we support the assembly processes and the struggles pushed forward by the citizens’ platforms that defend solidarity, opposition to the current capitalist system, and the construction of a new social, political, and economic model at the service of general interest. Against fear, we must respond with unity and struggle.
We consider it indispensable to propose, in a coordinated way, a schedule of permanent mobilization that unifies the various struggles, that collects proposals made from different mass, assembly-driven movements, and ultimately creates conditions for a new call for a General Strike, whose horizon we place before the adoption of the new State Budget. To this end, we call for September 26th to be a day of action in all of the country and will have assemblies, strikes, and protests that further debate on the call for a General Strike.
We demand the repeal of all of the Decrees (Labor Reforms and pay cuts, taxation, violation of immigrant rights, and cuts to healthcare, education, social services, . . .) because they violate the rights and liberties of the working class and society as a whole and benefit the economic powers only. The unequivocal defense of public services is a guarantee of the rights of citizenship.
The classist and independent unionism that we represent supports the struggle of the mining workers, the transportation workers, the Andalusian countryside workers (repeal of the requirement of the 35 peons to collect the subsidy), and the General Strike of the Basque Country.
We call for a meeting October 6th in Andalucía to continue coordinating the actions pushed forward by the classist and independent unionism in a unified way.
Therefore, we propose:
– Refusal to pay the debt or its interest. We demand a budget audit and jail time for those responsible. We demand nationalization of the bank and the creation of a public bank.
– Opposition of the increased armament, and a reaffirmed NO to NATO.
– Complete rejection of the repressive measures, which, increasingly, are being taken against the social and union activists who oppose government measures.
– A NO to the labor reform and NO to the pay cuts.
– Refusal to continue soliciting money to devote to the financial system.
– Defense of services and public companies (as well as public lands and other assets). No to deterioration and no to privatization.
– Prosecution of tax fraud with no amnesty.
– Equal rights for immigrants.
– Opposition to social exclusion and poverty. The popular classes must have guaranteed access to: food, water, medicine (healthcare), books (education and culture), and housing.
– Resignation of the central government and the respective autonomous governments, as well as anyone else who is in the service of the IMF, European Central Bank, and European Commission, for being illegitimate, because their actions violate the general interests of the people.
– Construction of a social and political alternative, of direct democracy, which defends the interests of the popular classes.
Therefore, we call all workers, the unemployed, pensioners, students, collectives of the homeless, immigrants, and other social movement activists to participate in the debates and mobilizations to construct a call for a General Strike and specifically to join the national day of action September 26th called for by the classist and independent unionism.
Madrid,September 8, 2012
Corriente Sindical Izquierdas de Asturias Intersindical de Aragón Intersindical Alternativa de Cataluña Intersindical Canaria Confederación General del Trabajo (CGT) Coordinadora Sindical de Clase (CSC) Confederación Intersindical Sindicato Andaluz de Trabajadores (SAT) Confederación Nacional del Trabajo (CNT) Solidaridad Obrera Sindicato de Comisiones de Base (Cobas) Sindicato de la Elevación (SE) Movimiento Asambleario de Trabajadores de la Sanidad (MATS) Alternativa Sindical de Trabajadores (AST) Sindicato Obrero de Puertos Canarios Frente Sindical Obrero Canario (FSOC) Convergencia Sindical Canaria Sindicato Asambleario de Sanidad